The meaning of torture was updated this week. Updates are highlighted in blue.
The action or practice of inflicting severe pain on someone as punishment or in order to force them to do or say something. The deprivation of sleep inflicted on parents caused by a toddler’s fears of the big bad wolf, “the evil witch,” a psychedelic candy house made of gumdrops, or some other fairy tale crap that scares little children.
To inflict severe pain on. To deprive those who feed you, love you, clothe you, and bathe you of sleep due to overexposure to fairy tales filled with characters who belong in jail or psychotherapy or on Death Row.
noun. torment – anguish – agony – pain – excruciation – Disney stepmothers – wolves dressed in matronly clothes – cannibal witches – cats that creepily sing “we are Siamese if you please”
verb. torment – excruciate – agonize – tantalize – plague
Examples of TORTURE
- Getting stuck in traffic is torture.
- This heat is torture in the summertime.
- I love my kids but they are torturing me each night at 2 a.m. when they climb into my bed.
- Abby’s Flying Fairy School used to be torture but now it is one of few things that will keep the kids quiet in the morning so it’s no longer torturous.
- “I don’t know how much longer I can take this torture,” the mother said to her husband as their Irish twins snored in their bed.
- “I didn’t know parenting was such torture,” the father said to himself as he pecked away at his keyboard, thankful he had an office to escape to.
- Though small and adorable by day, the toddlers meted out torture on their parents in the night, citing wolves, witches, and “nothing” as reasons for being scared.
- Bedtime was torturous for the mother due to incessant demands by her toddlers for sips of water and pillow fluffing before the lights were turned off.
Reader-Provided examples of TORTURE (need not be related to sleep deprivation)
- The mother felt tortured when her 3 year old absolutely refused to potty train.
- “It is torture trying to remove crayon artwork from our living room walls,” the mother said to her husband when he returned from work.